— Posted by chemical rxn on 1:11 am on Mar. 26, 2002
First thing, do keep ur distance and do not have flame near by while doing this due to the Hydrogen gas.
1. Go to a hardware store and buy a gallon of concrete cleaner (Muriatic Acid) a.k.a. Hydrochloric Acid.
2. Find an emtpy 3-liter bottle(plastic) add aluminum foil in the shape of small marble sized pellets. A square foot sheet should do the job. Don’t use too much b/c it won’t make much difference.
3. Mix 1 cup Muriatic Acid to 1 cup Water. DO NOT ADD WATER TO ACID. DEPENDING ON THE CONCENTRATION IT CAN MAKE THE WATER BOIL, SPLASHING ACID EVERYWHERE.
4. After making the acid sol’n. Place the bottle a good ways from people, animals, etc. (I’ve found pieces of shrapnel (not dangerous shrapnel) around 30 ft away from the blast site. The main concern is all the acid laying around afterward.
5. Pour the acid sol’n into the bottle and put on the cap tightly. I’ve timed this recipe to around 1 minute. Give or take some due to different concentrations.
6. The explosion is louder than a shot gun. Really fun. But alway dilute the acid. The first time i did it was with a 20 oz. bottle and i didn’t dilute the acid. In less than 5 seconds the bottle blew up making a ring of smoking acid in its path. As soon as I closed the bottle it sounded like a gas tank being filled. ( I guess thats what it really was)
However I did say not to have flames around the site. The rxn would result in Al(Cl)3 and Hydrogen gas (very flammable) be careful while doing this.
— Posted by knightmedia on 2:12 am on Mar. 26, 2002
I’ve made these before, and plastic doesn’t work. Use a glass bottle with a screw-on cap. The HCl+Al reaction will deteriorate the plastic bottle faster than the air can fill up inside it. The best possible mixture uses the minimal amount of ingredients to maximize the explosion. In other words, the more liquid and solid still in the bottle when the bottle busts, the more muted and held together the explosion will be.
— Posted by OoxHighVoltagexoO on 12:08 pm on Mar. 26, 2002
Sorry so late on seeing this post but you said it can be flammable…Now can you set it up somehow to have a flame attached to the jar or container like a candle or something simple to give it a hefty flame as it blows??? that wasnt a suggested idea..Its in question form..Any answers??
— Posted by Zero the Inestimable on 2:29 pm on Mar. 26, 2002
Yes. Leave a gasoline soaked rag or somesuch nearby and you should ignite the hydrogen as the bottle explodes.
~Zero the Inestimable
— Posted by OoxHighVoltagexoO on 3:24 pm on Mar. 26, 2002